This is a checklist of the most common documents we will need to complete your tax return.
It is very important that we have all or most of your information with us TWO WEEKS prior to your tax appointment.
Prior to preparing your tax return, you will be required to sign our firm’s Engagement Letter of Services.
- Notify our firm of any changes in marital status, dependents and or dependent educational changes.
- Confirm that your current dependents are not filing their own return and claiming themselves or an ex-spouse is claiming them.
- All W-2’s for taxpayer and or spouse.
- All 1099 forms received confirming income from interest, dividends, retirement, Social Security, disability, unemployment, gambling winnings, etc.
- All income information for children whose tax return(s) you want us to prepare.
- Year-end statement of mortgage interest (Form I098), escrow activity and balance on mortgage or home equity loans.
- Real Estate taxes paid.
- Total of charitable contributions and details for any noncash contributions over $500.
- Copies of all LLC, Partnership or S-Corporation K-1’s (these are often received late; let us know if this is true for you)
- Real Estate closing statements of any purchase, sale or refinance transaction.
- Cost basis for the sale of any stock or mutual funds (obtained from year end summary statement). If year end summary statement from the broker is not available, we will need a detailed activity of the fund including purchase date & price through sale date & price.
- If you are claiming auto mileage as a deduction for business, rental properties or unreimbursed employee expenses, we need to have a vehicle log showing: total miles, commuting miles, business miles driven for the year, business destination, business purposes and client info if applicable.
- If you lease your car or are deducting actual expenses, please also provide: original value of the car (what you could have bought it for), date of lease and all expenses for lease payments such as gas, licenses, insurance, repairs, etc.
- Copies of any federal, state or local tax correspondence received including any refunds.
- Detail of any federal or state quarterly estimated tax payments made for the year.
- All legal documents for incorporation, sale or purchase of a business during the year.
- All legal documents for divorce decrees.
- Voided check (needed only if you will have a direct deposit refund)
- New Clients: copy of prior year federal, state, & local tax return including depreciation schedules if applicable.
- Please provide any additional documentation that you believe will contribute to the accuracy of your tax return.
- If you made internet, mail order or out of state purchases where sales tax was not paid. Please provide total purchase amounts so sales tax can be calculated and included on your state tax return
You have the following options to provide information to our office:
- Drop off at our office (Seasonal Business Hours: M-F 8:30am-6pm; Saturday 9am-noon)
- US Mail: ATC Wegge, Ltd., 265 Center St., Grayslake, IL 60030
- Fax: 847-223-0782
- Email: email@example.com
All of us at ATC Wegge, Ltd., sincerely appreciate your cooperation in helping us prepare your tax returns.